GATE Exam Pattern
GATE 2019 is a Computer-Based Exam which will be conducted in 1st week of February 2019 and comprising Multiple Choice and Numerical Answer Type Questions. Get GATE Exam Pattern in details such as Marking Scheme, Type Of Questions etc from here.
There are mainly three sections covered under GATE Exam namely, General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics and specific subject of the paper. According to GATE Paper Pattern, exam will be computer-based of three hours duration, comprising 65 questions.
GATE Important Dates!!!
|Opening Date for GATE 2019 Online Application Form||1st week of September 2018|
|GATE 2019 Application Form Last Date||1st week of October 2018|
|GATE Admit Card Downloading Starts||1st week of January 2019|
|GATE Exam Date||1st week of February 2019|
|GATE Answer Key Release||Within a few days after examination|
|Announcement of GATE Results||3rd week of March 2019|
|GATE Score Card Release||4th week of March 2019|
|GATE Counselling Starts||1st week of April 2019|
The purpose of GATE Exam is to provide admission in Masters & Direct Doctoral Courses in Engineering / Technology / Architecture in relevant branches of science. GATE 2019 is held for total 23 papers.
Before starting the preparation, candidates must have the complete knowledge of GATE 2019 Exam Pattern. Scroll down this page of www.recruitmentinboxx.com to get further details regarding GATE Exam Pattern 2019.
GATE Exam Pattern
Overview of GATE Exam Structure:
|Exam||GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|Organizing Institute||IIT Madras|
|Mode Of Gate 2019||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Number Of Questions||65|
|Number Of Papers||23|
|Type of Questions in GATE||MCQ (Multiple Choice Questions) NAT (Numerical Answer Type)|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours|
|GATE Marking Scheme||1/3 marks deducted for 1 mark question and 2/3 marks deducted for every 2 mark question|
GATE Exam Pattern: Paper and Its Codes
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is conducted according to branch wise for which different codes have set according to their branch names. In below section of page, there are paper codes and paper names are given.
So, applicants are advised to move their cursor in below direction of the page for getting paper code and name of the paper knowledge. Check the GATE Exam Pattern from below page.
|Paper||Paper Code||Paper||Paper Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Agricultural Engineering||AG||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mathematics||MA|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE|
Get Details About: GATE Application Form
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering Exam Pattern:
- Papers: GATE Examination will be conducted for 23 subjects/papers in the month of February 2019.
- Exam Mode: GATE Entrance Exam will be organized in online mode (computer-based test).
- Type of Questions: In the examination, MCQs & Numerical type questions will be asked.
- Attempt: Applicants can appear only in any one paper of GATE examination.
- Number of Questions: Total 65 questions will be asked in the GATE Exam Pattern.
- GATE Marks: The GATE Question Paper will be of 100 marks.
- Session: Examination will be held in two sessions, i.e. forenoon (9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon) & afternoon (2:00 PM to 5:00 PM).
- GATE Exam Duration: Exam duration will be of three hours and complete details given in GATE Exam Pattern.
Section Common in All GATE Papers: It is compulsory to attempt General Aptitude (GA) section. Check GATE Exam Pattern in detail from here
|Sr. No.||Topics To Be Covered||No. Of Questions||Maximum Marks|
Download Here: GATE Syllabus
GATE Exam Pattern: Marking Scheme
General Aptitude (GA) Questions:
- This is very important section for attempt to all papers.
- The GA section will contain 5 questions carrying 1 mark each (sub-total 5 marks) and 5 questions carrying 2 marks each (sub-total 10 marks).
- The GA question will be of total 15 marks
For Numerical Questions:
- There is no negative marking applied for Numerical questions
For Multiple Choice Questions:
- There will be negative marking in GATE Exam Pattern.
- There will 1/3 mark will be cut for attempt a wrong answer.
- For 2-mark questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer
|Pattern of Questions||Marks Allotted||GATE Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||1 or 2 marks||For 1 mark question, 1/3 marks will be deducted.|
For 2 marks question, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
|Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||1 or 2 marks||No negative marking|
Check Out: GATE Study Material
GATE Marks & Questions Distribution:
|Sections||Number of Questions & Marks||Total Number of Questions||Total Marks|
|General Aptitude (GA)||5 Question carrying 1- mark each & 5 question carrying 2-marks each.||10||15|
|Question Papers other than GG, XE and XL||25 questions carrying 1-mark each & 30 questions carrying 2-marks each.||55||85|
|Question Paper GG (Geology and Geophysics)||PART A (Compulsory)|
|25 questions carrying 1-mark each.||Section 1 (Geology) & Section 2 (Geophysics) (Attempt Any One):|
30 questions carrying 2-marks each.
|XE Paper (Engineering Sciences)||Section A Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory):||Sections B to H: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|7 questions carrying 1-mark each & 4 questions carrying 2-marks each.||9 questions carrying 1-mark each & 13 questions carrying 2-marks.|
|XL Paper (Life Sciences)||Section P Chemistry (Compulsory):||Sections Q to U: (Attempt Any Two)||55||85|
|5 questions carrying 1-mark each & 10 questions carrying 2-marks each.||10 questions carrying 1-mark each & 10 questions carrying 2-marks each.|
Get Here: GATE Books
Design of Questions in the GATE 2018 Paper:
- The questions are designed to examine the following abilities of a contender:
- Recall: Based on facts, principles, formulae or laws of the discipline of the paper
- Comprehension: These questions will test the candidate’s understanding of the basics of his/her field
- Application: Candidate is expected to apply his / her knowledge either through computation or by logical reasoning.
- Analysis and synthesis: Candidate has to present with data, diagrams, images etc. that require analysis before a question can be answered.
You Can Also Check: Best GATE Coaching Center
You may fetch more information about GATE Exam Pattern 2019 by going through the above provided Official Link. If, you have any query related to Exam Pattern of GATE then please comment in below given comment box present on the page of www.recruitmentinboxx.com. Our experts will solve your query as soon as possible regarding GATE Exam Pattern.
You May Also Like To Check This Section: