IAS Exam Syllabus
UPSC conducts nationwide competitive examination as Indian Administrative Service (IAS). To plan your studies for it, refer IAS Exam Syllabus from here. We are providing (Topic-Wise) Complete Syllabus for Mains Exam to be held in September, October 2018.
Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is one of the toughest exams which will be organized from 28.09.2018 to 30.09.2018 and 06.10.2018 to 07.10.2018. To score well in this exam, refer IAS Exam Syllabus 2018 from here.
IAS (Topic-Wise) Exam Syllabus:
IAS Examination is conducted in three phases Prelims, Mains and Interview. Those who have qualified prelims are invited for Main Exam organizing from 28.09.2018 to 30.09.2018 and 06.10.2018 to 07.10.2018.
To grab more stuff about IAS Exam Syllabus 2018- 2019, take a look of below page prepared by team members of www.recruitmentinboxx.com. IAS Mains Exam will be organized for Paper-I (Essay), Paper-II (General Studies-I), Paper-IV & others.
IAS Exam Dates 2018:
|Exam date||Forenoon Session 9.00 A.M. to 12.00 Noon||Afternoon Session 2.00 P.M. to 5.00 P.M|
|28.09.2018||Paper-I Essay||No Paper|
|29.09.2018||Paper-II General Studies-I||Paper-III General Studies-II|
|30.09.2018||Paper-IV General Studies-III||Paper-V General Studies-IV|
|06.10.2018||Paper-A Indian Language||Paper-B English|
|07.10.2018||Paper-VI Optional Paper-I||Paper-VII Optional Paper-II|
IAS Exam Syllabus
UPSC Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Exam is categorized into three stages; complete IAS Exam Syllabus 2018 for prelims and mains exam are customized below:
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
IAS Pre Exam Syllabus
The IAS Exam Syllabus for Preliminary stage consist two papers and there is negative marking for each wrong answer that is 1/3rd of marks allotted for every question.
- Paper-I: General Ability Test
- Paper-II: Civil Services Aptitude Test
|General Ability Test||Current events of national|
and international importance
|History of India and Indian|
|Indian and World Geography –|
Physical, Social, Economic Geography
of India and the World.
|Indian Polity and Governance –|
Constitution, Political System,
Panchayati Raj, Public Policy,
Rights Issues, etc
|Economic and Social Development –|
Sustainable Development, Poverty,
Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
|General issues on Environmental|
Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate
Change – that do not require subject specialization General Science.
|Civil Services Aptitude Test||Comprehension|
|Interpersonal skills including|
|Logical reasoning and analytical|
|General mental ability|
|Basic numeracy (numbers and|
their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.)
(Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
|English Language Comprehension skills|
(Class X level)
You can get here: IAS Previous Year Papers
IAS Main Exam Syllabus
Candidate’s rank in UPSC Civil Service Exam depends only on the mark scored in Main and Interview. Main examination consist total 7 + 2 = 9 papers and all of them are descriptive types.
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus for Paper I: Any Indian Language
Candidates have to choose one language from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.
UPSC IAS Civil Services Exam Syllabus for Paper II: English
The pattern of questions would be generally as follows:-
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
UPSC Indian Administrative Service Exam Syllabus for Paper III: Essay
Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics.
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus for Paper IV: General Studies 1
- (Indian Heritage/ Culture, World History & Geography)
- Indian culture will cover the main feature of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from to present times
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country
- Post-independence consolidation and restructuring within the country
Do You Know: How To Become IAS Or IPS Officer
IAS Syllabus for Paper V: General Studies 2
- Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations
- Functions and duties of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus for Paper VI: General Studies 3
- (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-Diversity, Environment, Security & Disaster Management)
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it
- Government Budgeting
- Development, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
- Disaster and disaster management
IAS Exam Syllabus for Paper VII: General Studies 4
- (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and ; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion
- Emotional, and their utilities and application in administration and governance
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, and administrators; of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
List of Optional Subjects for Main Exam:
Civil Services Mains generally conducts in the month of October and November. IAS Exam Syllabus 2018 for Mains stage consists of the following optional papers.
|IAS Mains Optional Papers|
|General Studies||Electrical Engineering|
|Chemistry||Commerce & Accountancy|
Must Read: IAS Preparation Tips
Candidates who qualify in the Preliminary and Main Examination are able to attend the IAS Interview. Candidate can give preference of the language in which they may like to be interviewed. Marks set for the Interview is 275.
IAS Preliminary Exam Pattern 2018
After downloading the UPSC IAS exam syllabus, candidates can check the exam pattern of IAS exam, please have a look…!!
- UPSC IAS Pre exam will be conducted into 2 papers.
- The test will be of 400 marks.
- Question paper will be available in both English and Hindi Languages, so it can be understood by everyone.
|Serial Number||Name of Paper||Marks Allotted|
|Paper 1||General Ability Test (GAT)||200 Marks|
|Paper 2||English Language and Aptitude||200 Marks|
IAS Main Exam Pattern 2018
- The UPSC Civil Services Main exam will be of 1750 marks.
- After that a personality test (interview) of 275 marks will be conducted by the organization.
- Question paper will be available in both English and Hindi languages, so that every aspirants can understand it.
- The exam includes 7 papers with 2 papers of descriptive in nature.
|S. No.||Name of the Paper||Marks|
|1||Paper A- One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidates from the Language included in the 6th Schedule of the Constitution||300 Marks|
|2||Paper B- English||300 Marks|
|Papers to be counted for merit|
|3||Paper 1 – Essay||250 marks|
|4||Paper 2 – General Studies I||250 marks|
|5||Paper 3 – General Studies II||250 marks|
|6||Paper 4 – General Studies III||250 marks|
|7||Paper 5 – General Studies IV||250 marks|
|8||Paper 6 – Optional Subject 1||250 marks|
|9||Paper 7 – Optional Subject 2||250 marks|
Check Out: Best IAS Coaching Centers in India
If you find the above information about IAS Exam Syllabus 2018-19 helpful then you can bookmark this page by pressing Ctrl.+D. For more updates on Union Public Service IAS Exam, you can follow the team of www.recruitmentinboxx.com on social media.
You May Also Like To Check This Section
|IAS Notification||IAS Success Stories|
|IAS Cut Off List||IAS Eligibility Criteria|
|IAS Admit Card||IAS Result|
|IAS Application Form||IAS Officer Salary|
|IAS Answer Key||IAS Study Material|