IAS Exam Syllabus
IAS Exam is one of the toughest exams in India, candidates who are preparing for this exam must be preparing in a best way. To help those aspirants we have provided IAS Exam Syllabus to crack the exam with good score.
Union Public Service Commission conducts the Indian Administrative Service exam in two phases that is prelims and mains exam. From here, aspirants can download the IAS civil services syllabus PDF.
UPSC IAS Exam:
Union Public Service Commission shortlist the candidates on the basis of their performance in the pre and main exam. Selected aspirants from the main exam will appear in the personal Interview.
At the end those candidates who will get to rank will be IAS officer position. To get the other information about the IAS Exam Syllabus 2018, candidates should go through this page which is created by team of www.recruitmentinboxx.com
IAS Exam Syllabus
UPSC Indian Administrative Service (IAS) Exam is categorized into three stages and whole IAS Exam Syllabus 2018 for all the stages are customized below:
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
IAS Pre Exam Syllabus
The IAS Exam Syllabus for Preliminary stage consist two papers and there is negative marking for each wrong answer that is 1/3rd of marks allotted for every question.
- Paper-I: General Ability Test
- Paper-II: Civil Services Aptitude Test
|General Ability Test||Current events of national|
and international importance
|History of India and Indian|
|Indian and World Geography –|
Physical, Social, Economic Geography
of India and the World.
|Indian Polity and Governance –|
Constitution, Political System,
Panchayati Raj, Public Policy,
Rights Issues, etc
|Economic and Social Development –|
Sustainable Development, Poverty,
Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
|General issues on Environmental|
Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate
Change – that do not require subject specialization General Science.
|Civil Services Aptitude Test||Comprehension|
|Interpersonal skills including|
|Logical reasoning and analytical|
|General mental ability|
|Basic numeracy (numbers and|
their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.)
(Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
|English Language Comprehension skills|
(Class X level)
You can get here: IAS Previous Year Papers
IAS Main Exam Syllabus
Candidate’s rank in UPSC Civil Service Exam depends only on the mark scored in Main and Interview. Main examination consist total 7 + 2 = 9 papers and all of them are descriptive types.
Paper I: Any Indian Language
Candidates have to choose one language from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution.
Paper II: English
The pattern of questions would be generally as follows:-
- Comprehension of given passages
- Precis Writing
- Usage and Vocabulary
Paper III: Essay
Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics.
Paper IV: General Studies 1
- (Indian Heritage/ Culture, World History & Geography)
- Indian culture will cover the main feature of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from to present times
- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues
- The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country
- Post-independence consolidation and restructuring within the country
Do You Know: How To Become IAS Or IPS Officer
Paper V: General Studies 2
- Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International Relations
- Functions and duties of the Union and the States, issues and challenges pertaining to the federal structure, devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
- Development processes and the development industry- the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
- Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these
- Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
Paper VI: General Studies 3
- (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-Diversity, Environment, Security & Disaster Management)
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it
- Government Budgeting
- Development, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism
- Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
- Disaster and disaster management
Paper VII: General Studies 4
- (Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude)
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, and consequences of Ethics in human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships
- Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and ; moral and political attitudes; social influence and persuasion
- Emotional, and their utilities and application in administration and governance
- Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and
- Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, and administrators; of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
List of Optional Subjects for Main Exam:
Civil Services Mains generally conducts in the month of October and November. IAS Exam Syllabus 2018 for Mains stage consists of the following optional papers.
|IAS Mains Optional Papers|
|General Studies||Electrical Engineering|
|Chemistry||Commerce & Accountancy|
Must Read: IAS Preparation Tips
Candidates who qualify in the Preliminary and Main Examination are able to attend the IAS Interview. Candidate can give preference of the language in which they may like to be interviewed. Marks set for the Interview is 275.
IAS Preliminary Exam Pattern 2018
After downloading the UPSC IAS exam syllabus, candidates can check the exam pattern of IAS exam, please have a look…!!
|Serial Number||Name of Paper||Marks Allotted|
|Paper 1||General Ability Test (GAT)||200 Marks|
|Paper 2||English Language and Aptitude||200 Marks|
IAS Main Exam Pattern 2018
|S. No.||Name of the Paper||Marks|
|1||Paper A- One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidates from the Language included in the 6th Schedule of the Constitution||300 Marks|
|2||Paper B- English||300 Marks|
|Papers to be counted for merit|
|3||Paper 1 – Essay||250 marks|
|4||Paper 2 – General Studies I||250 marks|
|5||Paper 3 – General Studies II||250 marks|
|6||Paper 4 – General Studies III||250 marks|
|7||Paper 5 – General Studies IV||250 marks|
|8||Paper 6 – Optional Subject 1||250 marks|
|9||Paper 7 – Optional Subject 2||250 marks|
Check Out: Best IAS Coaching Centers in India
Candidates can download the IAS Exam Syllabus 2018 from this page which is made by team of www.recruitmentinboxx.com. For more updates about the Indian Administrative Service exam syllabus you can visit the official Link.
You May Also Like To Check This Section
|IAS Notification||IAS Success Stories|
|IAS Cut Off List||IAS Eligibility Criteria|
|IAS Admit Card||IAS Result|
|IAS Application Form||IAS Officer Salary|
|IAS Answer Key||IAS Study Material|