IIT JAM Syllabus
Download IIT JAM Syllabus Online PDF for Physics/Chemistry/Maths!! Check Detailed IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus for all subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Mathematical, Statistics, Biotechnology, Geology and Biological Science.
Those aspirants who are participating in Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test may download IIT JAM Exam Syllabus PDF for all subjects separately by moving your cursor downwards on this page.
IIT JAM 2020Details
|Organizing Institute||IIT Kharagpur|
|Name of the Exam||Joint Admission Test for M.Sc|
|Name of The Programme||M.Sc. (Two Year), Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D.,|
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree and other
post-bachelor’s degree programmes
|ONLINE Registration and Application Process||September 2019|
|Closure of ONLINE Application Process||October 2019|
|Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (JAM)||February 2020|
|Announcement of JAM 2020 Result||March 2020|
IIT Kharagpur conducts Joint Admission Test for Admission into M.Sc. (Two Year), Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree and other post-bachelor’s degree Programmes. In order to be selected for the admission, you need to secure maximum marks in the exam.
Applicants must start their preparation for test as according to the IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 mentioned below section on this page which is well created by the team members of www.recruitmentinboxx.com
Also Check Out Marking Scheme: IIT JAM Exam Pattern
IIT JAM Syllabus
IIT JAM Physics Syllabus 2020
IIT JAM Syllabus of Mathematical Methods:
- Calculus of single and multiple variables, partial derivatives, Jacobian, imperfect and perfect differentials, Taylor expansion, Fourier series.
- Vector algebra, Vector Calculus, Multiple integrals, Divergence theorem, Green’s theorem, Stokes’ theorem.
- First order equations and linear second order differential equations with constant coefficients.
- Matrices and determinants, Algebra of complex numbers.
IIT JAM Physics Mechanics and General Properties of Matter Syllabus:
- Newton’s laws of motion and applications, Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian, polar and cylindrical coordinate systems, uniformly rotating frame, centrifugal and Coriolis forces, Motion under a central force, Kepler’s laws, Gravitational Law and field, Conservative and non-conservative forces.
- System of particles, Center of mass, equation of motion of the CM, conservation of linear and angular momentum, conservation of energy, variable mass systems.
- Elastic and inelastic collisions.
- Rigid body motion, fixed axis rotations, rotation and translation, moments of Inertia and products of Inertia, parallel and perpendicular axes theorem.
- Principal moments and axes.
- Kinematics of moving fluids, equation of continuity, Euler’s equation, Bernoulli’s theorem.
IIT JAM Syllabus For Physics Electricity and Magnetism:
- Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law.
- Electric field and potential.
- Electrostatic boundary conditions, Solution of Laplace’s equation for simple cases.
- Conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, electrostatic energy.
- Biot-Savart law, Ampere’s law, Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, Self and mutual inductance.
- Alternating currents.
- Simple DC and AC circuits with R, L and C components.
- Displacement current, Maxwelll’s equations and plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting’s theorem, reflection and refraction at a dielectric interface, transmission and reflection coefficients (normal incidence only).
- Lorentz Force and motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.
Start Here Online: Physics Quiz
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus Physics of Kinetic Theory, Thermodynamics:
- Elements of Kinetic theory of gases.
- Velocity distribution and Equipartition of energy.
- Specific heat of Mono-, di- and tri-atomic gases.
- Ideal gas, van-der-Waals gas and equation of state.
- Mean free path. Laws of thermodynamics.
- Zeroth law and concept of thermal equilibrium.
- First law and its consequences.
- Isothermal and adiabatic processes.
- Reversible, irreversible and quasi-static processes.
- Second law and entropy.
- Carnot cycle.
- Maxwell’s thermodynamic relations and simple applications.
- Thermodynamic potentials and their applications.
- Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation.
- Ideas of ensembles, Maxwell-Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein distributions.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 of Modern Physics:
- Inertial frames and Galilean invariance.
- Postulates of special relativity.
- Lorentz transformations.
- Length contraction, time dilation.
- Relativistic velocity addition theorem, mass energy equivalence.
- Blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, Bohr’s atomic model, X-rays.
- Wave-particle duality, Uncertainty principle, the superposition principle, calculation of expectation values, Schrodinger equation and its solution for one, two and three dimensional boxes.
- Solution of Schrodinger equation for the one dimensional harmonic oscillator.
- Reflection and transmission at a step potential, Pauli exclusion principle.
- Structure of atomic nucleus, mass and binding energy.
- Radioactivity and its applications.
- Laws of radioactive decay.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 of Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics:
- Crystal structure, Bravais lattices and basis.
- Miller indices.
- X-ray diffraction and Bragg’s law; Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, variation of resistivity with temperature.
- Fermi level.
- p-n junction diode, I-V characteristics, Zener diode and its applications, BJT: characteristics in CB, CE, CC modes.
- Single stage amplifier, two stage R-C coupled amplifiers.
- Simple Oscillators: Barkhausen condition, sinusoidal oscillators.
- OPAMP and applications: Inverting and non-inverting amplifier.
- Boolean algebra: Binary number systems; conversion from one system to another system; binary addition and subtraction.
- Logic Gates AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR exclusive OR; Truth tables; combination of gates; de Morgan’s theorem.
IIT JAM Chemistry Syllabus 2020
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 for Physical Chemistry
- Basic Mathematical Concepts
- Atomic And Molecular Structure
- Theory Of Gasses
- Solid State
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Chemical And Phase Equilibria
Get Here Free Practice Quiz: Online Chemistry Quiz
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 for Organic Chemistry
- Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry and Stereochemistry
- Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications
- Qualitative Organic Analysis
- Natural Products Chemistry
- Aromatic and Heterocyclic Chemistry
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 for Inorganic Chemistry
- Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding and Shapes of Compounds
- Main Group Elements (s and p blocks)
- Transition Metals (d block)
- Bioinorganic Chemistry
- Instrumental Methods of Analysis
- Analytical Chemistry
IIT JAM Mathematics Syllabus 2020
|Sequences and Series of Real Numbers||Sequence of real numbers, convergence of sequences, bounded and monotone sequences, convergence criteria for sequences of real numbers, Cauchy sequences, subsequences, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem.|
|Series of real numbers, absolute convergence, tests of convergence for series of positive terms – comparison test, ratio test, root test; Leibniz test for convergence of alternating series.|
|Functions of One Real Variable||Limit, continuity, intermediate value property, differentiation, Rolle’s Theorem, mean value theorem, L’Hospital rule, Taylor’s theorem, maxima and minima.|
|Functions of Two or Three Real Variables||Limit, continuity, partial derivatives, differentiability, maxima and minima included in IIT JAM Syllabus 2020.|
|Integral Calculus||Integration as the inverse process of differentiation, definite integrals and their|
|properties, fundamental theorem of calculus.|
Double and triple integrals, change of order of integration, calculating surface areas and volumes using double integrals, calculating volumes using triple integrals.
|Differential Equations||Ordinary differential equations of the first order of the form y’=f(x,y), Bernoulli, s equation, exact differential equations, integrating factor, orthogonal trajectories, homogeneous differential equations, variable separable equations, linear differential equations of second order with constant coefficients, method of variation of parameters, Cauchy-Euler equation.|
|Vector Calculus||Scalar and vector fields, gradient, divergence, curl, line integrals, surface integrals, Green, Stokes and Gauss theorems.|
|Group Theory||Groups, subgroups, Abelian groups, non-Abelian groups, cyclic groups, permutation groups, normal subgroups, Lagrange’s Theorem for finite groups, group homomorphisms and basic concepts of quotient groups.|
|Linear Algebra||Finite dimensional vector spaces, linear independence of vectors, basis, dimension, linear transformations, matrix representation, range space, null space, rank-nullity theorem included in IIT JAM Syllabus 2020.|
|Rank and inverse of a matrix, determinant, solutions of systems of linear equations, consistency conditions, eigenvalues and eigenvectors for matrices, Cayley-Hamilton theorem.|
|Mathematics Real Analysis||Interior points, limit points, open sets, closed sets, bounded sets, connected sets, compact sets, completeness of R. Power series (of real variable), Taylor,s series, radius and interval of convergence, term-wise differentiation and integration of power series.|
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 for Mathematical Statistics
The Mathematical Statistics (MS) test paper comprises of Mathematics (40% weightage) and Statistics (60%weightage).
IIT JAM Mathematics Syllabus 2020
Syllabus of IIT JAM Sequences and Series:
Convergence of sequences of real numbers, Comparison, root and ratio tests for convergence of series of real numbers.
IIT JAM Exam Syllabus for Differential Calculus
- Limits, continuity and differentiability of functions of one and two variables.
- Rolle’s theorem, mean value theorems, Taylor’s theorem, indeterminate forms, maxima and minima of functions of one and two variables.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 Integral Calculus
- Fundamental theorems of integral calculus.
- Double and triple integrals, applications of definite integrals, arc lengths, areas and volumes.
IIT JAM Matrices Syllabus
- Rank, inverse of a matrix. Systems of linear equations.
- Linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
- Cayley-Hamilton theorem, symmetric, skew-symmetric and orthogonal matrices.
Get Here Basic/ Vedic Formulas Topic Wise: Maths Formulas PDF
IIT JAM Statistics Syllabus 2020
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 of Probability:
- Axiomatic definition of probability and properties, conditional probability, multiplication rule.
- Theorem of total probability.
- Bayes’ theorem and independence of events.
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus of Random Variables:
- Probability mass function, probability density function and cumulative distribution functions, distribution of a function of a random variable.
- Mathematical expectation, moments and moment generating function.
- Chebyshev’s inequality.
- IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 of Standard Distributions:
- Binomial, negative binomial, geometric, Poisson, hypergeometric, uniform, exponential, gamma, beta and normal distributions.
- Poisson and normal approximations of a binomial distribution.
Syllabus of IIT JAM Joint Distributions:
- Joint, marginal and conditional distributions.
- Distribution of functions of random variables.
- Joint moment generating function.
- Product moments, correlation, simple linear regression.
- Independence of random variables.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 of Sampling distributions:
Chi-square, t and F distributions, and their properties
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus of Limit Theorems:
- Weak law of large numbers.
- Central limit theorem (i.i.d.with finite variance case only).
IIT JAM Syllabus of Estimation:
- Unbiasedness, consistency and efficiency of estimators, method of moments and method of maximum likelihood.
- Sufficiency, factorization theorem.
- Completeness, Rao-Blackwell and Lehmann-Scheffe theorems, uniformly minimum variance unbiased estimators.
- Rao-Cramer inequality.
- Confidence intervals for the parameters of univariate normal, two independent normal, and one parameter exponential distributions.
Syllabus of IIT JAM 2020 Testing of Hypotheses:
- Basic concepts, applications of Neyman-Pearson Lemma for testing simple and composite hypotheses.
- Likelihood ratio tests for parameters of univariate normal distribution.
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus of Biotechnology (BT)
The Biotechnology (BT) test paper comprises of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.
|IIT JAM Syllabus of Biology (10+2+3 level)|
|General Biology|| Taxonomy; Heredity; Genetic variation; Conservation;|
Principles of ecology; Evolution; Techniques in modern
| Carbohydrates; Proteins; Lipids; Nucleic acids; Enzymes;|
Vitamins; Hormones; Metabolism – Glycolysis, TCA cycle,
Oxidative Phosphoryation; Photosynthesis. Nitrogen
Fixation, Fertilization and Osmoregulation; Vertebrates-
Nervous system; Endocrine system; Vascular system;
Immune system; Digestive system and Reproductive
|Basic Biotechnology|| Tissue culture; Application of enzymes; Antigen-|
antibody interaction; Antibody production; Diagnostic aids.
|Molecular Biology|| DNA; RNA; Replication; Transcription; Translation;|
Proteins; Lipids and Membranes; Operon model;
|Cell Biology|| Cell cycle; Cytoskeletal elements; Mitochondria;|
Endoplasmic reticulum; Chloroplast; Golgi
|Microbiology|| Isolation; Cultivation; Structural features of virus;|
Bacteria; Fungi; Protozoa; Pathogenic micro-organizms.
|IIT JAM Syllabus of Chemistry (10+2+3 level)|
|IIT JAM Syllabus of Atomic Structure:|
|Bohr’s theory and Schrodinger wave equation; Periodicity in properties; Chemical bonding; Properties of s, p, d and f block elements; Complex formation; Coordination compounds; Chemical equilibria; Chemical thermodynamics (first and second law); Chemical kinetics (zero, first, second and third order reactions); Photochemistry; Electrochemistry; Acid-base concepts; Stereochemistry of carbon compounds; Inductive, electromeric, conjugative effects and resonance;|
|IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus of Chemistry of Functional Groups:|
|Hydrocarbons, alkyl halides, alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, amines and their derivatives; Aromatic hydrocarbons, halides, nitro and amino compounds, phenols, diazonium salts, carboxylic and sulphonic acids; Mechanism of organic reactions; Soaps and detergents; Synthetic polymers; Biomolecules – amino acids, proteins, nucleic acids, lipids and carbohydrates (polysaccharides); Instrumental techniques – chromatography (TLC, HPLC), electrophoresis, UV-Vis, IR and NMR spectroscopy, mass spectrometry.|
Get Here Online: Biology Quiz
|IIT JAM Syllabus of Mathematics (10+2 level)|
|Sets, Relations and Functions, Mathematical Induction, Logarithms, Complex numbers, Linear and Quadratic equations, Sequences and Series, Trigonometry, Cartesian System of Rectangular Coordinates, Straight lines and Family, Circles, Conic Sections, Permutations and Combinations, Binomial Theorem, Exponential and Logarithmic Series, Mathematical Logic, Statistics, Three Dimensional Geometry, Vectors, Matrices and Determinants, Boolean Algebra, Probability, Functions, limits and Continuity, Differentiation, Application of Derivatives, Definite and Indefinite Integrals, Differential Equations.|
|IIT JAM Physics (10+2 level) Syllabus 2020|
|Physical World and Measurement, Elementary Statics and Dynamics, Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Work, Energy and Power, Electrostatics, Current electricity, Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism, Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Current, Electromagnetic waves, Optics, Dual Nature of Matter and Radiations, Atomic Nucleus, Solids and Semiconductor Devices, Principles of Communication, Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body, Gravitation, Mechanics of Solids and Fluids, Heat and Thermodynamics, Oscillations, Waves.|
IIT JAM Syllabus of Geology (GG) 2020
IIT JAM 2020 Syllabus of The Planet Earth
- Origin of the Solar System and the Earth;
- Geosphere and the composition of the Earth;
- Shape and size of the earth;
- Earth-moon system;
- Formation of continents and oceans;
- Dating rocks and age of the Earth;
- Volcanism and volcanic landforms;
- Interior of earth;
- Earthquakes; Earth’s magnetism and gravity, Isostasy;
- Elements of Plate tectonics; Orogenic cycles.
IIT JAM Geomorphology Syllabus 2020
Weathering and erosion; Transportation and deposition due to wind, ice, river, sea, and resulting landforms, Structurally controlled landforms.
IIT JAM Syllabus of Structural Geology 2020
- Concept of stratum; Contour; Outcrop patterns; Maps and cross sections; Dip and strike; Classification and origin of folds, faults, joints, unconformities, foliations and lineations,; shear zones.
- Stereographic and equal area projections of planes and lines; computation of true thickness of beds from outcrops and bore-holes.
Syllabus of IIT JAM Palaeontology
- Major steps in the evolution of life forms; Fossils; their mode of preservation and utility;
- Morphological characters, major evolutionary trends and ages of important groups of animals – Brachiopoda, Mollusca, Trilobita, Graptolitoidea, Anthozoa, Echinodermata
- Gondwana plant fossils; Elementary idea of verterbrate fossils in India.
IIT JAM Stratigraphy Syllabus 2020
Principles of stratigraphy; Litho-, chrono- and biostratigraphic classification; distribution and classification of the stratigraphic horizons of India from Archaean to Recent
Get Here Complete List Of: IIT JAM Exam Centres
IIT JAM Syllabus of Mineralogy
- Symmetry and forms in common crystal classes; Physical properties of minerals; Isomorphism and polymorphism, Classification of minerals; Structure of silicates; Mineralogy of common rock-forming minerals; Mode of occurrence of minerals in rocks.
- Transmitted polarised light microscopy and optical properties of uniaxial and biaxial minerals.
IIT JAM Syllabus of Petrology
- Definition and classification of rocks; Igneous rocks-forms of igneous bodies; Crystallization from magma; classification, association and genesis of igneous rocks; Sedimentary rocks – classification, texture and structure; size and shape of sedimentary bodies. Metamorphic rocks – classification, facies, zones and texture.
- Characteristic mineral assemblages of pelites in the Barrovian zones and mafic rocks in common facies.
IIT JAM Economic Geology Syllabus
- Properties of common economic minerals;
- General processes of formation of mineral deposits;
- Physical characters;
- Mode of occurrence and distribution in India both of metallic and non-metallic mineral deposits;
- Coal and petroleum occurrences in India.
IIT JAM Syllabus of Applied Geology
Ground Water; Principles of Engineering Geology
IIT JAM Syllabus of Biological Science (BL)
IIT JAM Syllabus 2020 General Biology:
- Taxonomy of plants and animals;
- pro-and eukaryotic organisms;
- cell organelles and their function;
- multicellular organization; general physiology;
- energy transformations;
- internal transport systems of plants and animals;
- photosynthesis; respiration;
- regulation of body fluids and excretory mechanisms;
- reproductive biology;
- plant and animal hormones and their action;
- nervous systems; animal behavior;
- plant and animal diseases;
- Mendelian genetics and heredity;
- basics of developmental biology;
- biology of populations and communities;
- evolution; basic principles of ecology;
- genesis and diversity of organisms.
Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics:
Buffers; trace elements in biological systems; enzymes and proteins; vitamins; biological oxidations, photosynthesis; carbohydrates and lipids and their metabolism; digestion and absorption; detoxifying mechanisms; nucleic acids; nucleic acid metabolism; nature of gene and its function; genetic code; synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins; regulation of gene expression; operons.
IIT JAM Syllabus of Structure of Biomolecules:
intra and intermolecular forces; thermodynamics and kinetics of biological systems; enzyme mechanisms and kinetics; principles of X-ray diffraction; IR- and UV- spectroscopy; analytical and biochemical techniques.
IIT JAM Syllabus of Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology:
- Classification of microorganisms and their characterization;
- nutrient requirement for growth;
- laboratory techniques in microbiology;
- pathogenic microorganisms and disease;
- applied microbiology; viruses and fungi;
- microbial genetics; cell theory;
- cell architecture; cell division;
- types of chromosome structure;
- biochemical genetics-inborn errors of metabolisms;
- innate and adaptive immunity, antigen antibodies;
- principles of processes of development.
IIT JAM Mathematical Sciences Syllabus 2020
- Mathematical functions (algebraic, exponential
- trigonometric) and their derivatives (derivatives and integrals of simple functions)
- permutations and combinations; basic probability and volumetric calculations.
Applicants are suggested to go through the above given Official Link to get IIT JAM Syllabus 2020. You may stay connected with our web portal www.recruitmentinboxx.com to get latest updates. You may also subscribe our free mail service so you may able to get update directly to your mail box.
You May Also Like To Check This Section
|IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria||IIT JAM Admit Card|
|IIT JAM Application Form||IIT JAM Result|
|How To Find Study Material Online||Aptitude Questions And Answers|
|5 Surprising Habits Of Toppers||Difference B/W Curriculum and Syllabus?|