With the SSC CGL 2018-19, exam release dates are still on hold, the candidates are improving each day by having a good command over the concepts. According to a study by experts on SSC candidates, it has been found that they spend extra time on solving reasoning questions which leave them with less time for attempting other sections. This article will help you in learning smart strategies and solve the questions within the stipulated time.
Excluding the candidates suffering from a deformity, the time allotted to attempt the question paper of SSC CGL Tier 1 exam is 60 minutes. Considering only the reasoning section, you will need to solve 25 questions within 15 minutes maximum. At this rate, you can practice attempting a question within 30-40 seconds.
To understand the exam pattern of SSC CGL Tier 1, check out the table below:
Exam Pattern (SSC CGL 2018-19 Tier 1)
|Name of Section||Questions||Marks||Negative Marking||Time Limit|
|Quantitative Aptitude||25||50||Deduction of 0.5 marks for every incorrect answer||60 minutes|
(Additional 20 minutes for candidates suffering from Cerebral Palsy/deformity in writing hand)
Things to remember before preparing for General Intelligence & Reasoning Section
An organized and smarter way of studying can make a lot of difference in achieving a better output. Ensure that you keep these important things in mind if you are yet to start your preparation for the reasoning section.
- Carefully examine the exam pattern and syllabus.
- Buy yourself an expert recommended book.
- Prepare a separate notes copy for the section.
- Set a target of attempting at least 30 questions daily.
SSC CGL 2018-19| Most important topics in reasoning section
What do we mean by smart studying? Covering only the important topics is definitely not a smart move. Smart study means that you cover the important topics first and cover the remaining topics within the remaining time. It is recommended to start-off with the following topics:
|Topic||Number of Expected Questions|
(Matrix, Cube & dices, Sequence of figures, Configuration, fitting pieces, odd pieces, etc)
(Coding-Decoding, Symbols, Mathematical preparations)
(Missing characters, odd pair, analogy, classification)
(Blood Relations, Ranking, Seating Arrangement, Direction sense, Puzzles)
(Venn diagrams, Assumption)
SSC CGL 2018-19 | Best Books for General Intelligence & Reasoning
Choosing the right book plays a very important role in determining your score in any entrance exam. Find the important book titles for preparing reasoning section in the table below
|S.No||Book title||Author/ Publisher|
|1||Analytical Reasoning||M.K. Pandey|
|2.||A New Approach to Reasoning(Verbal & Non-Verbal)||Arihant|
SSC CGL 2018-19| Topic-wise preparation
- The questions asked from this topic includes Matrix, Cube & dices, Sequence of figures, Configuration, fitting pieces, odd pieces, etc
- Try to develop strong spatial reasoning aptitude as it would help you solve questions pertaining to mirror image and space image.
Classification & Analogies
- Generally, the questions related to this topic are based on numbers, alphabets, and meaningful words.
- In Analogies, you are required to complete the set of four figures.
- The questions asked from this topic are easy and less time-consuming.
- It’s the most favorite topic of every entrance exam conducting authority.
- The best way to solve a blood relation is to draw a tree diagram.
- To solve a linear seating arrangement question, draw a line and number the spots. If you number the spots as per the question, you will be able to find the accurate seating arrangement.
- To solve a circular seating arrangement question, draw a circle and number the spots according to the language of the question. Solve both uni & bi-directional problems.
Coding & Decoding
- This incorporates Letter Shifting, Coding in Fictitious Language, Operation on place esteems, Coding by similarity, Coding by words, Conditional Matrix.
- Focus on the numbers and letters in order in the given code.
- Likewise, check if the successions given are in an ascending or descending pattern.
- To find the distinct solutions you should initially check the example that the question pursues.
Finally, ensure that you stick to the study plan and revise the topics on a daily basis.
Don’t forget to download SSC question paper app from the Play Store. It also provides free notes, topic-wise study material, quizzes, mock test, and all the notification related SSC exams.