IAS Exam Pattern
Candidates who are going to take part in UPSC Civil Services Prelims/Mains Test can check IAS Exam Pattern from this page. Every year Union Public Service Commission holds Civil Services Prelims/Mains Exam to recruit candidates on various posts. Interested candidates may also download IAS Exam Pattern pdf from the official website that is www.upsc.gov.in. To download directly UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern, candidate may tap the direct link provided below. To grab more details regarding IAS Exam Pattern 2017 candidate may scroll down this page.
This page includes:
|Preliminary Exam pattern||Topics for Interview|
|Mains Exam Pattern||About exam|
|Personal Interview||Online preparation material|
Candidates may get relevant information about exam pattern, important dates, descriptive syllabus, and study material from this page. UPSC Civil Services conducts various exams every year which includes Preliminary exam, mains exam and personality test/interview. For more detailed information candidate may go through this page which is well structured by the team members of www.recruitmentinboxx.com
IAS Exam Pattern
UPSC conducts Civil services Exam in three phases Preliminary & Main and Interview:
- Civil Services (Preliminary) Examinations (Objective Type) for the selection of candidates for Main Examination
- Civil Services (Main) Examination (Written and Interview) for the selection of candidates for the various services and posts
Check Here: IAS Study Material
IAS Exam Pattern for Preliminary Exam:
- The Preliminary Examination consists of two papers of Objective type (multiple choice questions) and carries a maximum of 400 marks.
- This exam is meant to serve as a screening test only; the marks attained in the Preliminary Exam by aspirants who are declared qualified for admission to Main Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
- Only those candidates who are declared by the Commission to have qualified in the Preliminary Examination in the year will be wiling for admission to Main Examination.
- There will be penalty (negative marking) for wrong answers.
|Paper 1||General Studies||200 marks||2 hours|
|Paper 2||Aptitude Skills||200 marks||2 hours|
Get Here Best: IAS Preparation Tips
IAS Exam pattern for Main Exam:
- Written exam consist of 9 papers of conventional essay type in subjects out of which two papers will be of qualifying in nature.
- Their marks will not be counted in main examination.
- Marks obtained for all the compulsory papers (Paper–Ito Paper-VII) and Marks obtained in Interview for Personality Test will be counted for ranking.
|Paper 1||One of the Indian languages chosen from the prescribed list||300 marks|
|Paper 2||English||300 marks|
|Paper 3||Essay||250 marks|
|Paper 4th/5th/6th/7th||General Studies (250 marks for each paper)||1000 marks|
|Paper 8th & 9th||Optional subject 1||500 marks|
|Total Marks||1750 marks|
Must Check: IAS Previous Year Papers, Questions
UPSC IAS Interview or Personality Test:
Candidates who will qualify in Pre and Main exam will have to go through with interview round. This interview consist 275 marks. Final selection of aspirants will be done on merit basis according to their marks in Pre, Mains and Interview which will be evaluated in 2,025 marks that is Grand Total. Students need to score good marks to crack this toughest entrance exam.
Read Out: IAS Interview Questions Answers
Indian Administrative Services Exam Syllabus
Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Pre Exam:
Firstly candidates need to qualify pre exam. You are advised to make strong grip on subjects to achieve your goal. This exam consist two subjects as given below.
- General Studies
- General Ability or Aptitude
Syllabus for UPSC IAS Main Exam:
After qualifying the pre exam you have to appear in Main Exam. This exam contains 9 papers. 2 papers out of 9 are qualifying nature and rest 7 papers are merit ranking. Topics of main exam are given below. Must have look and start preparation for obtaining good marks.
Also Check: Best IAS Coaching Centers in India
|S.No.||Name of the Paper.||Name of the Subject|
|1.||Paper – A.||Indian Languages.|
|2.||Paper – B.||English.|
|3.||Paper – I.||Essay.|
|4.||Paper – II.||General Studies – I.|
|5.||Paper – III.||General Studies – II.|
|6.||Paper – IV.||General Studies – III.|
|7.||Paper – V.||General Studies – IV.|
|8.||Paper – VI.||Optional Subject (Paper – 1).|
|9.||Paper – VII.||Optional Subject (Paper – 2).|
Check Here: IAS Syllabus
Topics for UPSC IAS Interview:
If you are one of them who are not well- known about which type of question will be asked in interview. So you are on right place. Here we are providing you some topics will helps to get clear idea about questions. Aspirants have to be honest and confident about the answers. The main topics consist in interview as framed below:
- Mental Alertness.
- Clear & Logical Exposition.
- Knowledge & Interest of Current Affairs.
- Specificness & Depth of Interests.
- Leadership Skills.
- Critical Powers of Assimilation.
- Social Traits.
- Balance of Judgement.
- Ability of Social Cohesion.
- Intellectual & Moral Integrity.
Candidates to score good marks must follow these preparation tips:
- Firstly candidates need to check the syllabus mentioned by the commission on official website
- After that make time table according to it
- Now candidate should also check exam pattern from official website
- Through exam pattern candidate should get an idea about which subject he/she should focus more or which topic have more weightage
- Candidate should also make notes of important topics and tricks to solve difficult numerical questions
- Candidate should practice previous year question papers
- Candidate also give online mock test
Do You Know: How To Become IAS Or IPS Officer
About IAS Exam:
Union Public Service Commission generally conducts IAS Exam or Civil Services Examination (CSE) to recruit eligible and hard working candidates. The Union Public Service Commission IAS Examination will consist of Two Stages that is Stage I and Stage II.
- Stage I- Preliminary Examination or Prelims Examination or CSAT
- Stage II- Mains Examination which is inclusive of a Personality Test/Interview
It is mandatory for the candidate to qualify both the stages. Candidate who qualify written examination or Stage I then will be called for Personality Test/Interview/Stage II. Final selection of the candidate is based on his/her interview performance. Candidates finally be selected then will called for Document Verification process.
Candidates who want to grab more information regarding IAS Exam Pattern 2017–2018 may go through this Official Link provided here. Candidates also like our page on Google+ and Face book to get latest updates.
You May Also Like To Visit This Section
|IAS Admit Card||IAS Result|
|IAS Eligibility Criteria||IAS Notification|
|IAS Success Stories||IAS Cut Off List|
|IAS Answer Key||IAS Officer Salary|