IAS Exam Pattern
Check UPSC IAS Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme from here!! IAS Prelims Exam Pattern and IAS Mains Exam Pattern carrying the complete information regarding No of Questions, Time Limit and others have been provided on this page.
Candidates can download IAS Exam Paper Pattern In Hindi/English PDF also for getting more details. Apart from Pattern of IAS Exam, we have provided some other essentials details also that can help you to start preparation of Upcoming Pre Exam that is scheduled to be held on 02.06.2019.
IAS Exam Pattern Details
|Organization Name||Union Public Service Commission|
|Name of the Exam|| Indian Administrative Service/|
Civil Services Examination
|Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination, 2019 Notification||19.02.2019|
|Last date to submit IAS 2019 Online Application Form||18.03.2019|
|Civil Services Pre Exam Dates||02.06.2019 (SUNDAY)|
|Announcement of Preliminary Exam Result||August 2019|
|IAS Mains Exam Date||20.09.2019 (FRIDAY)|
|Announcement of Main Exam Result||January 2020|
|Notification for Interview||Feb/March of the following year|
|e-Summon||March/April of the following year|
|Personality Test/Interview||March/April of the following year|
|Interview Result||April-June of the following year|
Do UPSC Civil Service Registration– IAS Application Form
Exam Pattern of IAS 2019 – FAQ’s
Question 1. How many papers are there in IAS Prelims?
Answer: There are 2 papers in Prelims exam – General Studies and Aptitude or CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test).
Question 2. Is there any negative marking in IAS exam?
Answer: Prelims is MCQs based test. There is 1/3 i.e .33 negative marking for each wrong questions in preliminary examination as per UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern. However there is no negative marking for the question which are not attempted.
IAS Exam Pattern 2019
UPSC Civil Service Exam Pattern includes preliminary, mains exam and interview. Applicants may attain complete information of Exam Pattern for Civil Services to prepare in a way as they can. So, for the ease of candidates we are sharing the IAS Exam Pattern 2019.
|Name of the conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission|
|Name of the Examination||UPSC IAS Examination|
Do UPSC Civil Service Registration– IAS Application Form
IAS Prelims Exam Pattern 2019
- Number of Marks: 200 marks each.
- Type of Paper: objective type (multiple choice questions).
- Nature of Paper: The General Studies Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33% .
- Language: Hindi and English according to the IAS Preliminary Exam Question Pattern.
- Time Duration: 2 hours each, +20 minutes for blind students
|Number of Papers||2- General Ability test (GAT)|
and Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT)
|Number of Questions||Paper 1- 80; Paper 2-100|
|Question Paper Type||Multiple Choice Questions|
|IAS Prelims Total Marks||400|
|Nature of Exam||Qualifying|
|Exam Duration||2 hours each, +20 minutes|
for blind students
|Exam Language||English and Hindi|
Get Here Subject Wise: UPSC IAS Prelims Syllabus
IAS Mains Exam Pattern 2019
- Type of Paper: Matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature.
- Language: The question papers (other than the literature of language papers) will be set in Hindi and English only.
- Time Duration: Each paper is of 3 hours. 30 minutes are given extra to blind students as mentioned in IAS Main Exam Question Pattern.
- Number of Papers: The exam will contain 7 papers as per IAS Exam Pattern Details.
We have provided Current IAS Exam Pattern in tabular form at the beneath section, so please have a glance:
|A||(One of the Indian languages listed below,|
to be selected by the candidate (from the
languages listed in the Eighth Schedule to
the Constitution of India) (Qualifying)
|II||General Studies I (Indian heritage and culture,|
history and geography of the world and society)
|III||General Studies II (Governance, constitution,|
polity, social justice, and international relations)
|IV||General Studies III (Technology,|
economic development, biodiversity,
environment, security and disaster management)
|V||General Studies-IV(ethics, integrity, and aptitude)||250|
|Two papers on subjects to be selected by|
the candidate from the list of optional subjects
below (250 marks for each paper)
Get Here Subject Wise: UPSC IAS Mains Syllabus
List of Optional Subjects in IAS Mains:
|Animal Husbandry& Veterinary Science||Botany|
|Political Science & International Relations||Medical Science|
IAS Exam Pattern For Personality Test
- Each student need to qualify the Mains examination to appear in Personality Test.
- IAS 2019 will be designed on the subject of Psychometric Test, Assessment Test, and Personal Interview.
- The test comes around in the language of preference.
- The interview will be categorized into 275 marks. The total marks will be 225 as per IAS Exam Pattern and Syllabus.
- Students will be contemplated on per total marks and final interview.
Read About – IAS Interview Questions Answers
It is mandatory for the candidate to qualify both the stages (Prelims and Mains Exam). Candidate who qualify written examination or Stage I then will be called for Personality Test/Interview/Stage II. Final selection of the candidate is based on his/her interview performance. Candidates finally be selected then will called for Document Verification process.
Read Toppers Key Points to Success in IAS: IAS Success Stories
IAS Exam New Pattern & Negative Marking
- One-third (0.33) of the marks will be deducted as penalty.
- If a candidate gives more than one answer, it will be treated as a wrong answer even if one of the given answers happens to be correct and the penalty will be the same as mentioned above for that question.
- If a question is left blank, i.e. no answer is given by the candidate, there will be no penalty for that question as per Current IAS Exam Pattern.
IAS Paper Pattern & Analysis Details
UPSC IAS Exam Pattern Details- Topic wise distribution of questions
|Topics||No. Of Qs.||Difficulty level|
|History/Art & Culture||15||Moderate|
|Science & Tech||8||Moderate|
|Geography & Agriculture||7||Moderate|
|Ecology & Environment||18||Moderate|
|MISC. GK/Current Affairs||27||Moderate|
UPSC Exam Pattern of IAS 2019-Distribution of Questions
|Subjects||Topics||Number of Questions|
|Directions, Coding Decoding, Cubes||6|
|Misc. Math Reasoning||3|
|Quant||Numbers / Fractions||7|
|Averages / % ages||4|
|Time, Speed, Distance & Work||3|
|P&C, Probability, Sets||2|
|Profit and Loss||1|
|Clock and Calendar||3|
|Verbal||Critical Reasoning / Single Question RC||29|
|Two Question – RC (2 Passages)||4|
Read Out: IAS Preparation Tips for Beginners
IAS Exam Preparation Tips:
Candidates to score good marks must follow these preparation tips:
- Firstly candidates need to check the UPSC IAS Exam Pattern and syllabus mentioned by the commission on official website
- After that make time table according to IAS Exam Pattern PDF.
- Now candidate should also check exam pattern from official website
- Through exam pattern candidate should get an idea about which subject he/she should focus more or which topic have more weightage
- Candidate should also make notes of important topics and tricks to solve difficult numerical questions
- Candidate should practice previous year question papers
- Aspirants also give online mock test.
Get Here Best Tips: How To Prepare For IAS Exam (Prelims/Mains)
IAS Preparation Books:
Along with IAS Exam pattern candidates are also suggested to go through the latest UPSC IAS Syllabus. With the help of UPSC IAS Exam Syllabus candidates will get to know about the contents included in topics given above.
Further after getting the syllabus of IAS, candidates must also buy Standard IAS Books. Without best books it will not be easier for candidates to prepare well and qualify the exam.
Dear students if you want to know more about the same, or want to get latest updates of IAS Exam Pattern 2019, keep visiting our official web portal www.recruitmentinboxx.com. You can also follow us on Facebook and Google plus. You can subscribe our free email service to get its update in your inbox directly.
You May Also Like To Check This Section
|IAS Officer Salary After 7th Pay||IAS Prelims Answer Key|
|UPSC IAS Result||IAS Cut Off|
|UPSC IAS Admit Card||How to Become An IAS Officer|
|Best IAS Coaching Centers in India||IAS Eligibility Criteria|